[TSCG-info] Interested in a 3-day Foundations of Sociocracy Workshop in DC? (short survey form at end of email)

The Sociocracy Consulting Group announcement tscg-info at sociocracyconsulting.com
Wed Sep 5 16:32:39 HST 2018

_The Sociocracy Consulting Group, in collaboration with Vernon Oakes and
Pat Thornton of Everything Co-op, Jim Johnson of Sociocracy for All, and
Julia Eddy, presents a 3-day workshop. __Please read to the bottom of
this message, for a link to short survey form to help us gauge interest
and plan the workshop._

FUN AND INCLUSIVE DECISION-MAKING: FOUNDATIONS OF SOCIOCRACY

Friday November 30th - Sunday December 2nd, 2018

Location: TBA (Washington DC Metro Area)

Do you expect meetings to be a drag? Do you dread group decision-making?
Do agendas make you groan?

What would you think of an approach to making decisions that is
_DOWNRIGHT FUN_? A way of working together that leaves everybody
_ENERGIZED AND HOPEFUL_? A way of structuring organizations that is
_FLEXIBLE, INCLUSIVE, AND EMPOWERING_?

Well, this way already exists! Sociocracy, also known as dynamic
governance, is a whole systems approach to collaborative
decision-making, project management, and organizational governance. It
creates more inclusive and effective organizations, in which all
stakeholders' voices matter.

Sociocracy can be used in any group or organization as an option for
easier and more inclusive decision-making, member-driven governance, and
organizational design. People at all organizational levels make policy
decisions that govern their own work, and communication flows bottom-up
as well as top-down. And sociocracy aligns naturally with cooperative
principles and practices!

The first two days will be an experiential workshop on the basics of
sociocracy to help you learn the core concepts and determine if
sociocracy might be right for your organization, led by Sheella Mierson
[1], a founding member of The Sociocracy Consulting Group [2].

The third day will be shaped by who attends and aimed at supporting
people to apply sociocracy in their organization or board.  A short
basic board training for co-op board members may be included, led by
local co-op developer Jim Johnson [3].

HERE’S SOME OF WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT SOCIOCRACY:

_"Watching a group of people in the same business with differences of
opinion make decisions they all agree to in 15-20 minutes is a powerful
thing. After seeing that, new people will want to learn it."_ -Joe
Garrison, Co-Owner, Blue Scorcher Bakery & Cafe, a worker co-operative
using Sociocracy since 2012, Astoria, Oregon.

"_We adopted sociocracy and all of a sudden there is a room full of
empowered people helping make decisions. People feel different. I'd say
that at the end of 100% of our circle meetings - where we set policy -
everyone says, 'My goodness. I feel so much more energized.' We have
fewer meetings over time as we've implemented sociocracy, the decisions
are better, and the follow-through is better because everyone's on
board."_ -Paul Kervick, Outreach Coordinator and Board Member, Living
Well Residential Care Home & Assisted Living, Bristol, Vermont, using
Sociocracy since 2004.

_"When I was an enlisted man in the Navy, I wondered why the officers
didn't listen to our good ideas. When I became an officer, I wondered
why I could never get the enlisted men to tell me what they were
thinking. I tell you from experience that sociocracy solves this problem
from both ends."_ -Richard Heitfield, President, Creative Urethanes,
Inc., manufacturer of specialty urethane parts including skateboard
wheels, Winchester, VA

LINKS TO LEARN MORE ABOUT SOCIOCRACY:

 	* A wonderful, very brief (3 minute) video introduction to sociocracy
[4].
 	* Vernon Oakes recently conducted an interview [5] about sociocracy
and co-ops on his radio show Everything Co-op [6] with the workshop
leader Sheella Mierson.
 	* Sociocracy for All has had an active Co-op Circle [7] for over a
year now and has produced a "Manifesto for Wholesome Cooperation" and
other materials.
 	* Jim Johnson recently gave a short talk on sociocracy for co-ops, at
the 2018 International Sociocracy Conference - you can see a video of
that here [8].
 	* There is also lots of information on The Sociocracy Consulting Group
[2] website.

SURVEY FORM:

If this intrigues you and you may want to attend, please fill out our
interest form here by September 15th, to  help us plan the Fall 2018
workshop in DC (official registration will come later):

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdUgYQzmwPiBvTE-VKZiyDZ4BbHT5tUu7tmHRywLkIeh9QtMA/viewform
[9].

If you have any questions, are interested in sponsoring the event, or
would like to get on the mailing list for future communication about
this workshop, please email julia.eddy at gmail.com.

PLEASE HELP US SPREAD THE WORD BY CIRCULATING WIDELY.

Links:
------
[1] http://sociocracyconsulting.com/about/team#sheellamierson
[2] http://sociocracyconsulting.com/